Search This Blog

Tuesday 21 June 2011

The Olympic Dream Gets Nearer!

As my regular readers will be aware I have applied to be a volunteer at both the Olympics and Paralympics next year and am being considered to be part of the Anti-Doping Team. I have blogged about this previously and if you wish to see how this has progressed or is progressing you might like to take a look at my previous dribblings at:

http://steveodare.blogspot.com/2011/01/me-at-2012-london-olympics-i-hope-so.html

http://steveodare.blogspot.com/2011/02/me-at-2012-london-olympics-big.html

Back to the present. Things are, rather excitingly, moving on. I have been invited to take part in a Test Event in August that will take place at the Basketball Arena on the Olympic Park itself.

The event itself is the  London International Basketball Invitational which is a truly international sporting event with not only the GB Team taking part but the national sides of Australia, China, Croatia, France and Serbia also.
More details of the event can be found here:
http://www.hoopsfix.com/2011/05/london-international-basketball-invitational-announced/

To say that I am excited about this prospect would truly be an under-statement. What will I be like if I actually do get selected as a true Olympic volunteer? Doesn't bear thinking about to be honest!

Prior to the event I have to attend some training which will take place at the Hackney Community College in London. Starts at 9.00 am. Looks like a very early start for me travelling from Skegness! The things I do for Queen and country!

I am hoping to learn an awful lot more about how an Anti-Doping team works and to gain experience of working behind the scenes at a large international sporting event as well as proving my mettle to those who will be making the final selection for the volunteering roles.

I will update again once it has all taken place. Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment