Search This Blog

Thursday 3 February 2011

Me At The 2012 London Olympics - The Big Interview


Big interview was yesterday at the Excel in London. What a day!!!!
I left myself 4.5 hours to get "dahn the smoke" for what should have been a 3 hour drive. Thanks to a lorry fire near Cambridge those 4.5 hours were not enough as both the A14 and the M11 were closed for most of the day. My decision, carry on straight down the A1. As in all decisions you found out whether you were right or wrong. Guess I was wrong then. Huge holdups caused by all of the traffic being diverted away from the Cambridge area plus the ubiquitous road-works made for a crawl rather than the relaxing drive I was looking for.

As a result, at 12.30 pm, when I should have been sitting down calmly to be interviewed for a post on one of the Anti-Doping Teams, I was still careering around the M25, within the speed limit of course, cursing lorries, road-works and life in particular.

Finally arrived at the Excel, a marvellous building which is situated right on the Thames in Docklands, at nearly 1.00 pm, fearing the worst. Full of apologies I presented myself to the reception area and I have to say the staff could not have been nicer. From then on, it was all rush, rush, rush. My original time of 12.30 was the last slot of the morning for interviews. As everyody else was already moving around the system I would have to do the whole thing on my own and not as a part of a group as planned! Now not only feeling flustered but also embarrassed!!

So it was off to a film-show about the process, during which I had to play Rock,Paper, Scissors which is a bit surreal when you are on your own. From there, after having Eddie Izzard wishing me luck for my interview, he was in the film and not there in person, it was straight into Interview Pod 8. Still breathless and to be honest in a bit of a whirl.

The interview was not at all what I was expecting. It took me a couple of minutes to realise that it was very much of the happy-clappy variety, full-on up for the Olympic experience, positive to the Olympic ethos and "Welcome the world to London". Once I picked up what was called for it all started to fall into place. Funny really, I was enthused by the interviewer and really got into it. Lots of questions about past experiences, giving examples of behaviour under certain situations and proving that I was a genuinely nice guy. (No comments thank you). After half and hour or so. Done. Finito. Ende.

After that it was into the exhibition area, full of interesting facts and figures about the London Olympics and history of the Olympic movement. I was told I should have seen all of this before the interview but because I was late I had to wait until afterwards. It would have been better, given some of the questions, if I had seen it first but "too late" was the cry.

How did it go? Difficult to say really. I think I did okay and I definitely gave it my best shot. One thing I will say is that now I have done it I will be absolutely gutted if I am not offered a position. The whole experience has made me want it more and I didn't think that was possible.

When do I find out if I have made it as a volunteer and a Gamesmaker? As I understand it, November. Better not hold my breath then but it is a long time to keep your fingers crossed.

Here's hoping.

Oh. By the way. Roads were fantastically clear on the way home and did it in well under 3 hours. Life can be like that sometimes can't it??

No comments:

Post a Comment