Search This Blog

Friday 14 January 2011

Me At The 2012 London Olympics. I Hope So!

I decided to volunteer as a Gamesmaker, bit of a twee name, really a volunteer to help out, at the 2012 Olympics and the Paralympics. I thought that this would be an opportunity of a lifetime to be involved in something like this. I signed up for this months ago, hoping that I would get selected as one of the 70,000 (I think) people that they would need to run the games. Having filled in the appropriate forms on-line, it was then a case of sitting and waiting to see a. If you get through the initial selection and b. To see what would be on offer. You are offered a specific role which is not negotiable, take it or leave it. As I understand it this could be just about anything from working in the stadium itself, helping out with the actual events, to being a car park attendant.

I was very pleased to receive an email yesterday inviting me to an interview at the Excel in London Docklands to become part of the Anti-Doping Teams. Really pleased with that. Sounds very exciting and dealing directly with the athletes it will put me at the heart of the action. I hate the use of drugs in sport as it turns the events from being the ultimate in human endeavour to being nothing more than a competition for the scientists producing the drugs and it has very little to do with the athletic ability of those that are using these products. Those that take the drugs are cheating not only their competitors but also themselves.

Just hoping now that I impress enough at the interview to be given the role. Only 3 weeks to wait before I attend so fingers crossed.

I will post an update when I have more to tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment