Search This Blog

Sunday 31 May 2015

Go Skegness - Who?

Ever heard of Go Skegness? No? Worryingly neither had I until today.

Why do I say worryingly? Well this organisation, Go Skegness, has been given £5,700,000 (5.7 million pounds) to improve the transport infrastructure in the Skegness area. That is an awful lot of money being given to an organisation that has, what I believe, such a low public profile.

I am really pleased to see the money being allocated but would question some of the projects that it is being allocated to.

  • A cycle route to Gibraltar Point.
  • A cycle route Skegness to Chapel-St-Leonards.
  • Measures to improve cycling connections within Skegness Town Centre.
  • Enhancements to the public realm within the town centre and at Skegness Interchange.
There are also several aspirational things going forward.

I am always happy to see money being invested in our town and local area but this does seem to be a bit "off the wall" in its priorities.

If you want to get more information about this then have a look here: http://www.greaterlincolnshirelep.co.uk/funding/view-growth-deals/go-skegness





4 comments:

  1. So what should their priorities be?
    Surely solutions or suggestions are needed not just knocking them for their intentions.
    I think it's great that they are looking to link Chapel and Skegness even down to Gibraltar Point...the area has lots to offer and the sooner it is all pulled together as one the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My priority to open up the area would be to improve the A52 heading north out of Skegness. I agree that cycle-routes are a great idea. I am a cyclist myself but that is not going to decrease the congestion heading north out of Skegness towards, Ingoldmells, Chapel-St-Leonards etc. My intention was not to knock this it was to put it into the public domain and let people know what was going on. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. A cycle route from Chapel St Leonards to Skegness is a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. A lot of emphasis on cycling, I am a cyclist myself, and not much on improving the main links.

      Delete