Search This Blog

Sunday 20 March 2011

Not Famous People, Just Wonderful People........

I was in my favourite curry house for a take-away last evening, The Agra on Drummond Road. Standing having a bottle of Cobra when three people came out of the restaurant and into the bar area having finished their meal. The Agra was absolutley packed with people also waiting for tables and the staff were flat-out.
One of the people who had just left the restaurant asked me where the nearest taxi-rank was as they wanted to go to the Vine Hotel where they were staying. I said that it wasn't far and they could perhaps walk down there. The lady said "I don't think I would make it. We have just cycled 90 miles today and I am just too tired".
After a bit of probing I found out that these people had cycled from Leicester Clock Tower to Skegness Clock Tower for a charity dedicated to Prostate Cancer. They were not athletes or what they termed "real cyclists" they just wanted to do their bit. Well cycling 90 miles for charity is in my eyes more than doing your bit!!!!
As I live very near to the Vine Hotel I said "Sit yourselves down and as soon as my meal is ready I will drive you down there".
This I did and when getting out of my car the chap sat next to me shook me by the hand and said how grateful he was for my kindness. Lovely thing to say but in my eyes it was a very small act when compared to what they had done.
I don't know their names but I do know that they are wonderful people who had just raised over £2,500 for charity through their own efforts. A three minute car ride seemed to be the least I could do.

The Prostate Cancer Charity can be found at:
http://www.prostate-cancer.org.uk/
You can make a donation at the site if you so wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment