Search This Blog

Friday 25 March 2011

4 CRB Checks .......... Why?


Now, before I start, let me say that I am all for the protection of children and the vulnerable in our society. There are enough examples of them being harmed to show that we need to be on our guard. It is not the protection that I am finding frustrating, it is the way it is done.

Let me explain.
At this moment in time I am the proud owner of 3 CRB checks.

I have these running at the same time:

List 99 CRB (Required for schools as I am a Governor at Skegness Grammar School).
A CRB check for my work on the Census.
A CRB check as I have volunteered to be a Gamesmaker at the 2012 Olympics.

Now I would have thought that little lot would just about be enough for anybody, but it would appear not. I have been told I now need another CRB check to allow me to coach cricket in schools!!! Why? I have been asked to join the team providing the Chance To Shine coaching system in local schools on behalf of the England and Wales Cricket Board and as a part of this I have been told I need a CRB check. I have informed them of the ones I already have but that is not good enough. I need another one.

Now I am not having a go at the ECB here as they are only following the rules. It is the rules that need sorting out. Why can there not be one CRB check that can be used for any activity requiring one. Surely they can only ask so many questions and check so many data-bases to prove you are not a threat to children or the vulnerable. Unless I am missing something here this is necessary red-tape that could be simplified and not have a detrimental effect on the safety of those that need protecting and it needs doing!

Thankfully the ridiculous rules that they wanted to put into place a two or three years ago have been scrapped otherwise the whole system could have ground to a halt by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment