Search This Blog

Saturday 10 September 2011

Skegness Hospital A&E - Not Closing

Over the past few days I have heard the rumour that Skegness A&E is closing. I have heard this from both Skegness residents and also from a councillor colleague. I am not sure how far and wide this rumour has yet circulated and you may not have heard it yet. If you have fear not, if you do in the future, disregard it.

I contacted NHS Lincolnshire regarding this and, after several false starts, finally managed to get to talk to the General Manager of the hospital. She informed me that there were no plans to close the A&E at Skegness but there were going to be changes to the way it was staffed and that they were looking at the increased use of Nurse Practitioners within the department.

In my opinion, Skegness Hospital has not had a "fully functioning" A&E facility for some years but I have been told that the service being provided by the hospital after the staff changes would not be diminished from it's current level.

Encouragingly, I was also told that the hospital is viewed as an asset and that there was scope for the services, other than A&E, to be widened and enhanced.

So good news all round then.

No comments:

Post a Comment