Search This Blog

Tuesday 19 July 2011

Angry Gods And An Apology

Weather forecast - light rain by 1.00 pm. Well I looked up at the sky at 11.30 and not a cloud in sight. "Hah" thought I, "They are wrong again" and put my washing out in a somewhat defiant mood.
While I was happily pegging away at the smalls, I realised just how lovely sunny and warm it was in my very sheltered back-garden. "Right", thought I, "Time to get the shorts on and the shirt off and top up the tan. Rain my backside".

So there I was an hour later, toasting gently, with my whites fluttering in the oh-so-gentle breeze ensconced in my Stephen King novel, when a strange distant rumbling came to my ears. I looked around the sky and noticed that to the north the colour was turning a strange yellowy grey. "Someone's going to get a drenching over there" I thought to myself and then carried on Stephen Kinging.
A few minutes later and the temperature suddenly dropped. The rumbling became much more insistent and very much nearer. "Blimey, better get some of this washing in" I thought.
As I desperately dived for the clothes basket and peg bag the rumblings were joined with flashes of lightning. Best get the old garden chair under cover. Did that and just managed to get the washing in when, with an almighty series of bangs and flashes, the heavens opened. The air was filled with huge, fat, cold raindrops and I leapt through the back door. All hell broke loose.
The weather Gods were showing me just how puny my challenge to them really was. How dare I doubt them and sit out in the sunshine? Now came the punishment. They were angry and they were letting me know it.

So here I sit with the rain thundering down on the conservatory roof fit to break in. It is my fault. I was daft enough to challenge the Gods and I got my come-uppance. All of you holiday-makers out there, I owe you a big apology. This storm is my fault. Sorry!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment