Search This Blog

Monday 14 February 2011

The Taxman Is Very Taxing And A Shambles To Boot.


Her Majestys Revenue and Customs was formed in 2005 to replace both  the Inland Revenue and HM Customs and Excise. Given the letter that I received this morning with a dreaded P800 in it, all I can say is  what a mess they have made of it all.

Despite having paid every penny in tax that I have been told I owed and being employed, therefore paying through PAYE, the wonderful HMRC have now informed me that I owe them hundreds of pounds.

Flabbergasted!!

How can that be? This goes back nearly 4 years, I am reliably informed after waiting well over half and hour on the telephone calling their "HELP-LINE". It is not their fault, I am also reliably informed it was down to those responsible for collecting the tax and me for making a tax underpayment!!! I always thought that HMRC was responsible for collecting the tax and ensuring that the tax collected was correct!!! What a simple and naive being I really am.

As I was on the Helpline, I thought I would ask for a bit of help. What can I do about this then, I asked. Well, to put it bluntly "Pay up" I was told. So that is what I will have to do. Pay up. Thanks for the help!

From what I can understand, the good old Her Majestys Revenue and Customs are still working through a backlog of people's tax records and will be sending more of the dreaded brown envelopes out soon. Gird up your loins people, it could be you next.

No comments:

Post a Comment