Search This Blog

Friday 4 February 2011

The Skegness Academy And 17.5 Million Pounds!!






What fantastic news that the Skegness Academy is to receive £17.5 million pounds in funding from central government to achieve it's expansion and renovation plans.

I see this as a huge boost for the education prospects of the children of Skegness and congratulate all those involved in the project.

Not only is this a boost for education but also, looking at the facilities to be provided, for the local community.

Here is a thought though. I am of the old school, in this case The Canon William Morris Secondary School which for those of you that don't know was the forerunner to the present school via the guises in between. For me and those of my ilk that site will always be the Morris School. It was a great school to go to and had some fantastic teachers. In my time the likes of Pop Jenner, Derek Dutton, Frank Crabbe and Mike Sharman, to name but some, were all excellent teachers who provided an excellent education for the pupils in their care.

Anyway back to my thought. I would love to see the Academy incorporate the history of the school by including the name Morris School or somesuch in it's present day title. This would give the school some historical significance and the pupils the ability to look back on their forebears and their education. At a time when the heritage of the town is under threat, Church Farm Museum and the Railway Station buildings spring to mind, I think this is a very good idea.

Morris School Emblem.
The Skegness Canon William Morris Academy? Has a certain ring to it for me!!! What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment