Search This Blog

Saturday 15 January 2011

ULHT - 14 Million Pounds Overspent - Bad News For Local Hospitals?

United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust logoIt has been revealed that United Lincolnshire Hopitals Trust is to over-spend it's budget by £14 million pounds this financial year. Inevitably, this is going to result in staffing cuts and possible cuts in the health services provided by the Trust at it's three sites, Lincoln Hospital, Grantham Hospital and Pilgrim Hospital in Boston.

Thankfully, Skegness Hospital is not run by this organisation, but by Lincolnshire Primary Care Trust, although the Minor Accident Unit (A&E is at is euphermistically called) is provided by ULHT under contract and as such should not, in my understanding, be directly affected.

My concern is that we, as a town, rely very heavily on Pilgrim Hospital to provide normal hospital services and I cannot see how they cannot be damaged by this overspend. I can envisage a reduction in staff and a reduction in the capacity of clincial services as a result. This is bad news for all residents in this area!

I have had a look at the ULHT website to see what they have to say for themselves but there is nothing on there that I can find, giving any information about this overspend and the fall-out from it.

We can only keep our fingers crossed that those who have allowed this overspend to happen can now up their game to come up with a solution that will not impinge on the health of our local population. I am not holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment