Search This Blog

Friday 26 June 2015

Savlon On The Nipples

Chafing. Not a word that you hear bandied about a lot in modern times. Probably because clothing is a lot kinder to the skin nowadays than in times gone by.

Having spent 23 years in the Army I know a lot about chafing. Uniform back in 1972 when I joined was not exactly silky in nature I can assure you. More sack cloth than silk. Who could ever forget "Shirts Hairy"? Add to that carrying a couple of stone in wait around in your webbing and yes, I knew a lot about chafing.

Sorry but I digress. So what about "Savlon On The Nipples". Well nowadays I don't have to worry about the vagaries and discomfort of Army Haute Couture as I can choose to dress exactly how I like. That includes when I indulge in one of my passions. Running? Yep we are talking "Runners Nipple" here.

Most people would believe that affliction was something that was confined to the female of the species, and most probably they are the ones that suffer most but, as I have found to my cost, it is not exclusive to them. Out for a run on Sunday and it poured with rain all the way round. An hour soaked. Luckily, as my old Mum used to say, "You can't get wetter than your skin". Well that was certainly proven correct. As I ploughed around the streets of Skegness I have to confess that I pretty much enjoyed the experience of playing the drowned rat. Nothing too uncomfortable if a little chilly.
Got home and peeled off my running gear and that is when it struck. As I peeled off my Drifit material shirt, a name that does not live up to the inherent promise in this instance; Runners Nipple. Bright as the brightest cherries and stood to attention like the Guards on the Monarch's Parade. Apologies Ma'am for bringing you into something as vulgar as this!

Never suffered from this before. What to do? Man up and it will go away! That is the good masculine answer to everything isn't it? Well in this instance it could not have been a worse decision. Despite the smearing of vaseline on the offending items on the two runs that I have completed since Sunday, thank you to a lady running friend for the advice, no luck. Still little change to the double trouble.

So it is down to Savlon. Used it in the past on thighs, crotch (sorry!), shoulders, underarms and the back of the neck, all down of course to the 23 years in the Army, and it always did the trick there. Will it cure my present ills? I am not sure but I am sure you will be pleased to know that I will let you know! In the meantime. Don't worry I am still manning up!

No comments:

Post a Comment